Yayzy App

A full refresh of UI and UX within a timebox and budget. 

Buying our planet more time so we can collectively advance policy and scientific efforts to combat climate change. The app allows users to discover their country's average carbon footprint, connect their bank accounts to get a more accurate view of their personal carbon footprint, and offset that footprint by funding tree planting and climate projects.

Exploring user needs

Conducting hours of user interviews and multiple user surveys we gathered together the key findings and formed them into themes. It was important for us to understand how we wanted to use the reasearch findings in the next stage of our process. This way they were in the correct format, ready to go, and they were easily digestible. It's easy to drown in data and not know what to do with it, so it should be seen as a tool being created by use, to make the next step easier.

Of all the pain point themes we discovered, we compared the effort vs value of each (user and business) and prioritised the onboarding flow. 

The main journeys of the onboarding flow were mapped out along with the pains discovered during reasearch which gave us a distributed and granular view of the pain points. We also overlayed user drop-out percentages through the journeys.

With all pains visualised in an end-to-end view we could easier understand their combined effects on the product, and how they impacted our success metrics. This systems view of the issues (rather than lots of individual issues) helped form new pain themes for these specific journeys. 

Each theme discovered was written as a 'How might we...' question ready to be used in ideation sessions and plotted onto a simple service blueprint. 

Ideation

Using the as-is journeys and 'how might we...' questions mapped tgether as a single tool, we begun ideating opportunities that could help resolve the original user pains. Those opportunities were organised into a living 'to-be service blueprint' map, which evolved post-it comments into simple wireframes and logic diagrams. The map would change from a written ideas, to grouped written ideas, to sketched ideas linked together to form our new vision on the onboarding flow, still linked to the original 'how might we...' questions.

Wire frames prototypes were created in Figma, and usability testing begun. Based on various rounds of feedback, we evolved the wireframes into more polished UI as the feedback bacame positive.

Success measures

Right at the start of the project we created a simple brief that we returned to a various points throughout the whole project.

Setting success metrics before the ideation begun helped us steer decisions and check we were on track to deliver the benefits needed. It was also a simple and helpful tool for us to collectively confirm we were on the same page regarding outcomes, business needs, user needs and how we might measure them.

Where needed we would update the brief or even adjust it, in line with stakeholder needs, user needs and business requirements.This was always done as a group activity.